Drugs are a major problem in the state of Kentucky.

In addition to opioids and heroin, methamphetamines are making a major comeback. Kentucky has seen an increase of over 300% in meth possession arrests from 2012 to 2016.

Maybe you, or someone you know, has a drug possession conviction on their record and you are wondering – is there any way to make it disappear?

What are the benefits of expunging your drug conviction?

If you are convicted of drug possession, that conviction will stay with you for life. Anytime somebody runs a background check on you – for credit, housing, employment – there it is. Employment applications often ask if you’ve ever been convicted of a crime, and you have.

Although it’s illegal to discriminate against you due to your drug conviction, you will experience it. A landlord might refuse to rent an apartment to you. An employer might decide not to hire you.

As you can see, being convicted of drug possession can have a strong negative impact over the course of your life.

What type of conviction is it?

There are two types of drug possession convictions, misdemeanor and felony, with a felony being the more serious of the two.

If it is only a single misdemeanor, expungement in mandatory. If you have several misdemeanors on your record, you can apply to expunge all of them. You can also apply for misdemeanor expungement as many times as you like.

If your drug conviction is a felony possession in the first degree, you can apply to have the conviction expunged, as well as any other convictions that came from that same incident.

In both cases, there are some additional requirements that must be met as well.

Does it cost anything to have my drug conviction expunged?

If your conviction is a misdemeanor, it will cost $100. If the expungement is denied, you will receive a $50 refund.

If your conviction is a felony, it will cost $500, and you will receive a $450 refund if you are denied.

So if you are willing to spend some of your hard-earned money, you can apply to remove a drug possession conviction from your record in Kentucky.